Frequently Asked Questions

 

Frequently Asked Questions

GENERAL

Q. Where can I see samples of your work?


A. We have a link to writing samples across various areas in the footer.




Q. I’ve placed my order…now what?


A. Right away, you should receive an email confirming your order. We may need more information from you, at which point, we will get in touch with you via the email address that you signed up for your order. If not, we will be in touch with you within the allotted delivery time with a delivery of the first stage of your project.




Q. I have some questions before I order…


A. Great! We love chatting to new people! You can get in touch with us via the live chat function on the website, or, if it’s out of office hours, feel free to get in touch with us via our contact page.




Q. Do you offer a payment plan for longer books?


A. For chapter books, yes, we do! We offer a 50% upfront payment which covers the outlining process and the opening 25% of your book. Once these two milestones have been delivered, we will send you a custom invoice for the outstanding payment. Once this is paid, we continue with your project.




Q. I’ve tried to order but I’ve been warned of extended delivery times and a potential waiting list. What’s going on?


A. Due to the hands-on nature of our service, from time to time we reach maximum capacity. When this happens, we extend orders. When we’ve reached our extended order maximum quota, we stop taking orders and instead, add you to a waiting list.




Q. What is the 'Pro Package Upgrade'?


A. As standard, we copyedit your work. This measn one of our editors ensures that the spelling, grammar and syntax are all correct, whilst being mindful of a consistent writing style. When you add-on the pro package, this brings in a developmental editor, from the start, who will provide full editorial assessment of your outline (for chapter books only), and then makes fundamental structural notes on your book itself for the writer to rework. Many self-publishing authors don't upgrade to the pro package and go with our standard service, however, for the absolute best chance of success and to create the best possible story, we heavily recommend getting your work developmentally edited. Publishing a book without a developmental editor on-board is akin to creating a film without a director and in traditional publishing every book gets developmentally/structurally edited.





REVISIONS & DELIVERIES

Q. What is your standard delivery time?


A. For projects 4,999 words or less, we deliver within seven to fourteen days of your order. For projects 5,001 words or more, we add on roughly seven days per 5,000 words. Due to the nature of our bespoke service, during busy periods, there may be unexpected delays. Under this circumstance, we would give you regular updates on the projected timeline.




Q. How does the storybook revision process work?


A. Our storybook projects are split into three key stages: outlining, writing and editing. The outlining and writing stages each come with one major revision and one minor revision which would look like this: DELIVERY ONE: Your outline. You get one major revision and one minor revision. DELIVERY TWO: Your manuscript. You get one major revision and one minor revision. If you'd like more revisions, you can purchase major or minor revision credits mid-order via your project manager. NOTE: There are no further revisions available after the work has been copyedited without opening a new order and paying our standard per 1,000-word rates.




Q. What happens if I’m still not fully satisfied after my free revisions?


A. As standard, all orders come with outling and writing, along with a major and minor revision at each juncture. This thorough and pragmatic approach ensures a high chance of success and it really is very rare that we don’t absolutely nail-it within this structure. If, after delivery and three revisions, you still need more work on your writing, there will be a fee for each additional revision. Our additional revision fees are listed here: | up to 4,999 words: £50 | up to 14,999 words: £100 | up 29,999 words: £150 | over 30,000 words and over: £250 |




Q. How long are your revision windows?


A. Dependant on your project type and what stage we're at, your revision window will be between five and ten days. The length of your window will be stated by your project manager. When the updated work is returned to you, this initiates a new five to ten day window. If we do not hear back from you within the duration of your stated revision window, there will be a revision fee charged for us to revise your project.




Q. How does the chapter book revision process work?


A. Our chapter book projects are split into four key stages: outlining, writing the opening 25% of the book, completing the remaining 75% of the book and editing. Each of the outlining and writing stages each come with one major revision and one minor revision which looks like this: DELIVERY ONE: Your outline. You get one major revision and one minor revision. DELIVERY TWO: The opening 25% of your book. You get one major revision and one minor revision. DELIVERY THREE: The remaining 75% of your book. You get one major revision and one minor revision. If you'd like more revisions, you can purchase major or minor revision credits mid-order via your project manager. NOTE: There are no further revisions available after the work has been copyedited without opening a new order and paying our standard per 1,000-word rates.




Q. What's the difference between a major and a minor revision?


A. When you receive your initial delivery from us, you are eligible for two free revisions: one major revision and one minor revision. MAJOR REVISION: The first revision is where you go through the document and tell us absolutely everything that you'd like altering, revising and reworking. We then go away and make all of those changes for you. MINOR REVISION: The second revision is where you go through the work that we've just revised for you and request tweaks or alterations to the new revised sections. If you need more revisions credits mid-project, these can be purchased directly via your project manager.




Q. What are revision credits?


A. Each delivery from us comes with one free major revision and one free minor revision credit (see 'Q. What's the difference between a major and minor revision?' for more details).
If you require any additional revision credits outside of this, these can be purchased from your project manager mid-project.




Q. Is there are cut-off time for when I can request a revision?


A. Any revisions requested after 28 days of your previous delivery will be charged at our full service per 1,000 words rate.





SERVICES & EDITORIAL

Q. I get free copyediting, but I can upgrade to developmental editing pro package; what’s the difference?


A. A copyedit of your work essentially ensures that the spelling, grammar and syntax are all correct, whilst being mindful of a consistent writing style. When you add-on the pro package, this brings in a developmental editor, from the start, who will provide full editorial assessment of your outline (for chapter books only), and then makes fundamental structural notes on your book itself for the writer to rework. Many self-publishing authors don't upgrade to the pro package and go with our standard service, however, for the absolute best chance of success and to create the best possible story, we heavily recommend getting your work developmentally edited. Publishing a book without a developmental editor on-board is akin to creating a film without a director and in traditional publishing every book gets developmentally/structurally edited.




Q. My initial delivery has spelling and grammar errors in – why is this?


A. Your initial delivery has not yet been passed to an editor as this is what we call the draft delivery. Your revision deliveries may also contain errors or typos, too. This is because we want to make sure you’re happy with the direction, tone and style of the writing before our editors do the final polish on your work. Your final edited delivery will be error-free.




Q. The service I’m looking for isn’t listed in the Build-a-Book Portal, can you still help me out?


A. The chances are that, yes, we probably can help you out. To find out for sure and get a custom quote from us, please get in touch with us via our contact page.





Was your question still not answered here?

If not, feel free to get in touch with us here